1. What has been your proudest career moment?
Receiving the Trade Association Forum’s Award for Outstanding Contribution to Trade Association Management in 2019.
2. Who has been/is your biggest mentor?
Will McKee, who was my Director-General at the British Property Federation.
3. What’s the most valuable piece of advice you have ever received?
Learn to say “That’ll do” to anything that is at least 80% good enough. Your idea of 80% is most people’s 110%.
4. Which training body would you recommend for someone wanting to enter your area of the industry?
Vistage – I describe it as my CEO support group. I’ve had more professional development in the four years I’ve been a member than in the previous 20.
5. How do you make sure you stand out from the crowd e.g. up-skilling, research, social media?
Never stop learning and always be open to new ideas.
6. If you could give one piece of advice to someone starting their own business, what would it be?
Understand your numbers and make sure you stay on top of them.
7. What’s the best and hardest thing about your job?
The best thing is bringing out the untapped potential in an organisation. The hardest is trying to shift deeply ingrained mindsets in Government.
8. How do you switch off after a difficult day?
Any combination of cooking dinner, watching football or playing guitar.
9. Desert island 3 course meal?
Steamed asparagus with hollandaise sauce
Roast pork, stuffing and crackling
Unlimited cheese board
10. Which 5 people (dead or alive) would you have at your dinner party?
My wife, two children, mother and stepfather
Setting up a new business can be confusing so to help break it down Mireille Dagger, Senior Associate at BDP Pitmans explains the most important things to put on your checklistREAD MORE...
The new Spring Budget announced by Jeremy Hunt includes a cancelled energy price raise, increased funding for childcare and an increase in corporation tax, with Hunt claiming recession is avoidableREAD MORE...
Retailing is one of the most important revenue drivers for salons but is an area in which many therapists struggle. Matt Taylor explains how to successfully consult and recommend products to boost salesREAD MORE...